Monday 5 July 2010

Nigella's Snickerdoodles



Sometimes, because I'm a bit of a loser, I like to browse through my old blog posts. Sometimes to find recipes I want to make again, but more often than not, I have a peruse because I like to see the change in it. I like to see how at the beginning it was quite clear I was just getting to grips with blogging; the writing, the photos, the layout, and over the last year I would like to think that my posting has improved, I love to see the increase in the amount of you that comment and chat, and I'm a little more comfortable in this little space of mine.

However something had been bothering me as I glanced over old blog posts recently, and I couldn't quite figure out what it was. It was nothing that stood out and screamed 'Umm, Becca, Hello?!?! This is wrong!!', nothing conspicuously incorrect or missing, and I just couldn't put my finger on what was. Then it hit me. Nigella. Oh, Nigella, how could I possibly have neglected you so?! As I scrolled through my posts, I realised there was just one lonely little post on a Nigella recipe. One. Now, you may not know this, (chances are you don't since I have carelessly disregarded her books on this blog) but I'm a Nigella devotee, so this is qute an upsetting revelation for me. I have loved Nigella for years, my cookbook collection has ended up including several of her books which I love, and I look forward to her television programmes when we are treated to them. She epitomises home comforts, she shows luxurious food without being ostentacious, and never apologises for her indulgences. And on top of all these home-making efforts, and the importance she clearly places on her family, she has managed to become a successful businesswoman in her own right. Superwoman or what? Anyway, the point of my waxing lyrical about Nigella is this: I haven't written about enough of her recipes here, and I plan to rectify the situation!



So I thought I'd start with something fairly simple but utterly gratifying and enjoyable: Snickerdoodles, or as Mr. Colehill insists on calling them, Snickerdimdums. Don't ask me why, sometimes it's just better to nod along...


These are remarkably simple and quick to make,and the warming smell of cinnamon and nutmeg is completely divine, not to mention the sweet crumbly texture which is truly delightful and very very moreish! Nigella describes them as sort of a baked doughnut, shall we say a 'healthier' version or is that pushing it a little?! Mine were a little crumblier than I expected from the 'doughnut' comparison but perhaps I baked them a minute or so too long. Either way, they weren't exactly snubbed by the hungry mouths around me, and I don't think anyone had a problem with the more biscuit-y texture.


Snickerdoodles
125g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar plus 2 tblsp
1 egg
250g plain flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tblsp ground cinnamon


Combine the flour, nutmeg, salt and baking powder and set aside.
Next, cream the butter and 100g caster sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in the egg.
Now beat in the flour until you have a soft and smooth paste/dough.
Combine the rest of the sugar and cinnamon on a plate.
Roll walnut sized pieces of dough in the suagr and cinnamon before placing on a lined baking tray.
Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about 15 minutes when they should be turning a pale golden brown.
Leave to cool on a wire rack.



I challenge you to stop eating these without either removing yourself from the room or the Snickerdoodles from eyesight!! These biscuits are pretty much perfection in my eyes. They aren't too over the top, just right for an afternoon snack with a cup of tea. Obviously there is room for your Hummingbird type hit-you-over-the-head-with-chocolate Double Chocolate Cookies, but sometimes something a little more refined is in order. And we at Colehill Kitchen are British after all; it's in our nature to get over-excited about a little treat, as Bill Bryson has so aptly pointed out!! So here's to a dainty little morsel of perfection, courtesy of Nigella...I think she would throughly approve of a little indulgence!


3 comments:

  1. Oh yum - these look amazing! As soon as the Hussyband lets me buy a mixer I might have to reward him with these little morsels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly look very simple to make... would certainly try it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweet momma. These look dangerously tasty I will certainly try them asap and let you know how it goes. Hannah x p.s. lots of lovely cake action on your blog - I heartily approve!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love to hear your comments so chat away!!