Friday 13 August 2010

New Baby Cake!!


This is an exciting post for me, because this is my first ever attempt at cake decoration in this way. I've always stuck to buttercream frosting and simple cakes, but this is a special occasion, so I tried my hand at something a little more detailed. The occasion in question is a beautiful baby boy, Mr. Colehill's new little nephew, and I wanted to do something special for the event. However, that is easier said than done because I've never done it before. This has been a week in the making in the evenings after work, starting with designing, making the sugarpaste decorations, baking the cake and finally assembling.


Anyway, here is the final product - The cake is layers of chocolate sponge and victoria sponge, with white chocolate buttercream between each layer. The building blocks are also cake, but the rest of the decorations are made out of sugarpaste.


I'd say this is my proudest achievement to date, I'm really pleased with the way it came out, but of course I'd love to hear ny tips and tricks you may have for cake decorating!!
P. S. excuse the milk bottle coming off at the side, it needs to be fixed on firmly before I give it to the new family!!

14 comments:

  1. That's gorgeous. You're so talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is astoundingly gorgeous!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful cake Becca, you are very talented! :)
    I would love to make one like this when my baby is born in couple of weeks... but like you I have never used fondant before to cover the whole cake, only to decorate, so I'm scared how it would turned out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good job Becca, great prop modelling.
    A tip for you (since you asked) putting a thin layer of marzipan under the fondant gives a much smoother finish. Also, use a much bigger cake board.
    Amazing, outstanding, fantastic for your first ever one!
    Deanna http://foodographic.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your kind words! And thanks for the tip Deanna - I searched high and low for a bigger cake board but to no avail, i had to make do with this teeny weeny one!! More organisation needed next time to buy a board further in advance than 2 days!!

    Becca :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh well done - looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow...wow...wow.....absolutely gorgeous!!! That's amazing for your 1st attempt! Congrats! I really like it. I have not seen a much more beautiful one. You have everything to be proud of and to celebrate! :D Thanks very much for sharing. Hope you have a great weekend. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really impressive! Your cake decorating skills are exceptional, well done!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm SO impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that´s excellent for your very first attempt! You´re so talented. I hope my niece´s birthday cake(that I´m going to attempt for the very first time) turns out as good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing for a first attempt! You did so well.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love to hear your comments so chat away!!