Friday 25 September 2009

Brownie Semi-Success


I attempted a recipe from my Hummingbird Bakery cookbook the other day, one that I've been dying to try for months - basically since I got the book, and let's just say, it didn't go swimmingly.

It was brownie with a layer of cheesecake then whipped raspberry cream completing the three layers. You can see why I've been wanting to make it for so long! Well, the making the brownie mix went well, making the cheesecake mix was fine, then I put two trays of it in the oven and left it for 25 of the 40 minutes cooking time the recipe suggests. Mistake.


I had forgotten about the oven's uneven temperature and the one on the right side of the oven burnt to a cinder. The one on the left however, was still slightly overcooked but ok. After getting all grumpy and upset about my brownies, I turned them out, and left them to cool. Now, as much as it pains me to throw away food, I really did have to throw away the burnt one, it was practically inedible. When the brownies were cooled I topped them with the cream which was a gorgeous bubblegum pink flavour, and left them to set a little in the fridge.


They were lovely slightly warm ( I couldn't resist eating the trimmings straight away!!), but it has to be said they were better after an overnight stint in the fridge. The cookbook did say to leave them in the fridge overnight, but I'm just too impatient when it comes to food, but I do recommend following the rules it if you try this recipe!! (Well, after snaffling the trimmings immediately after cooking of course!!).

After the overnight stay in the fridge, they soon disappeared due to excessive yummy-ness and I think I'll end up making them again - but keeping a keen eye on them while they cook next time!!

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who burns things lol! Your brownies look great, difficult to have patience when something looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Hummingbird! Your brownies look great, despite your little accident!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The layers look great! Sounds like a delicious recipe with the raspberry cream on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate brownie AND cheesecake? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cor...brownies with cheesecake, that sounds amazing. Know what you mean about dodgy ovens, mine is so temperamental I have to kickstart the fan at the back by sticking a fork in the grille to rev it up (probably a bit dangerous)...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahh thanks all of you!!Haha Anne...I think maybe a new oven is in order...? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My oven has been wonky with bread lastely.... can't seem to get it to brown the top!
    These brownies look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Hummingbird Cookbook! These cheesecakes look great - will be giving them a try ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, lovely posting, and quite nice of you to share the highs and lows of baking... life does not always go according to plan! I got the Hummingburd Cookery book but have not cooked anything from it yet, but you inspired me! The Bristol Organic Food Market seemed to have been a fun day. Luiz Hara @ The London Foodie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooops, should have preview that - I meant to say the Hummingbird not Hummingburd! Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How frustrating to have to deal with a temperamental oven! This sounds wonderful with the colors of Neapolitan ice cream!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love to hear your comments so chat away!!