Monday 19 October 2009

Carrot Cake Extraordinaire!



Trust me when I say, you need not try another carrot cake once you've tried this one. Immodest, I know, but honestly, this is the god of all carrot cakes. My quest for the perfect carrot cake came to an end when I was given the recipe for this delight when I was working at Michael Caines' restaurant in Exeter. Soft and moist in texture, dense yet not overly rich...that is, it's quite easy to reach for another slice. A quality I truly respect in cake.

I can never have too much cake.

It doesn't really rise that much, there is a small amount of bicarbonate of soda, but you don't want it to rise like a sponge, or you sacrifice the moist texture that makes this carrot cake so spectacular. You need to keep an eye on the cake when it's coming to the end of it's baking time, and take it out as soon as a knife comes out just about clean when you skewer it. Be brave when you take it out of the oven, it's ok if a few crumbs stick to the knife, better to be slightly underdone than over done in my opinion.






The cake itself is something to salivate over, but add the indulgent and rich cream cheese frosting, and you've got something truly special in your kitchen. A mix of butter, cream cheese and icing sugar, this is not for those looking to keep an eye on their waistline...that said, I think this cake is probably worth a little restraint the next day to even out the balance!






So here's the recipe:

Carrot Cake
120ml vegetable oil
160g caster sugar
2 eggs
large pinch of salt
110g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
140g grated carrot
handful chopped walnuts


Beat the oil and sugar until it's thick.
Add the eggs gradually.
Then add the salt, flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon.
Lastly mix in the carrots and walnuts.
Transfer the mix into a cake tin, at bake at 160 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, checking regularly.
Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.


Cream Cheese Frosting
75g soft butter
110g icing sugar
150g Philadelphia


Beat butter and icing sugar together until smooth, then add the cream cheese.
Generously dollop on the cake, and spread to the edges.


So there you have it, the perfect carrot cake. Try it, trust me, you'll thank me.

13 comments:

  1. I love carrot cake. So delicious with that incredible cream cheese frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could probably eat the whole thing all at once, plate included. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't be a good carrot cake. I love the woman's weekly recipe but you have convinced me to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - that should have read 'Can't BEAT a good carrot cake'! Oh dear ;0(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I love love love carrot cake, but haven't made it since I was a kid! Going to do this at the weekend, it looks amazing. Cake rocks. Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahh thank you all!! I hope you have a yummy carrot-cake filled weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you've frosted this cake so you can see the beautiful carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becca! The cake looks yummy - I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becca,
    I've finally got round to checking out your blog and am so glad I did. You go girl.

    Carrot cake is one of my favourites. I have heard of Michael Caines mothers carrot cake recipe. Truly looks scrumptuous. Watchng my waistline or not, I would so much love a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks so much!! yeah it's pretty yummy, you should definitely try it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on a first rate blog. I'm always on the lookout for a good carrot cake recipe and look forward to trying Mr Caines'. Is your 160C oven temperature for fan-assisted or conventional?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh thank you Lester!! my oven is fan assisted and I bake it at 160, hope you enjoy!!

    Becca :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have just made this cake - it is delicious. Unfortunately I didn't have caster sugar and used half granulated and half soft brown - but it came out beautifully. (Will blog it with a link to you.)
    Thank you. Shirley I.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love to hear your comments so chat away!!