Sunday 28 February 2010

Eggs Benedict - The Ultimate Breakfast


I think breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. It's worth taking time over and enjoying, however I'm definitely guilty of inhaling whatever I can lay my hands on when I'm in a rush, barely having time to blink let alone savour and what I'm eating, and enjoy the most important meal of the day. It's a strange meal, because it's the only one that we think nothing of having the same thing every day, we hardly prioritise, and that we demolish in seconds before rushing out of the house. On top of this, unlike an evening meal, I certainly don't spend time wondering what to have, reading recipe books, looking forward to... but sometimes it's necessary to give priority to the first food that we gobble up in the morning, and really revel in the luxury of a lazy breakfast with the papers and a calmness on the weekend which we are rarely afforded during the week. Eggs are a given really when it comes to breakfast, and there's no dish more indulgent than Eggs Benedict in my opinion. Soft toasted muffin, topped with crispy bacon, poached egg and creamy hollandaise sauce - and some wilted spinach in there too if you fancy it. The last time I had this delight was at the Wolseley last August, which I wrote about here, so I was slightly daunted at the prospect of trying it myself - let's be honest, it was never going to be as good as it was there!


It didn't quite measure up to The Wolseley's standards, but I don't think I did too shoddy a job. It's pretty easy really, it's just about timing and being able to do a good poached egg. I made the hollandaise sauce first, using Rachel Allen's recipe. Her books are beautiful and I've used a couple of her recipes before, including butternut squash gratin, which is included here. First place a bowl over a pan of simmering water and put two egg yolks and a tablespoon of water into the bowl. whisk for a few minutes, then gradually add cold diced butter (110g), one cube at a time, whisking until it has all melted and emulsified. Then add seasoning and a little lemon juice. I found it a little thick, so loosened it up with a little more water. Leave to one side, covered with cling film, over the pan of water (no longer over heat) to keep warm until you need it. Then toast the muffin, grill the bacon and poach the egg. Try to get the freshest eggs you can, as the whites will hold together better the fresher they are. A tip I have found really helpful when poaching eggs is to crack the egg into a mug or shallow tumbler first, then when your water is nearly simmering, swirl it a little so that it creates a whirlpool, and drop the egg in, pouring it out of the tumbler as low and close to the water as you can without burning your fingers! Poach for about 3 minutes, and remove with a slotted spoon. I poached my eggs a little to early, so took them out about 30 seconds before they were done, then replaced them into the simmering water just before I was ready to serve so that they were warm and right on time! Build your tower of deliciousness - muffin first, then bacon, then egg, and pour over lashings of your creamy hollandaise sauce and dig in!


Not a breakfast for everyday obviously, or I'd end up rolling out of the house rather than rushing! But it is worth taking the time once in a while and indulging...what are weekends for after all?!

11 comments:

  1. I cheat with my hollandaise sauce but your method sounds tempting. I think I will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my Dad's favourite breakfast and he would go out of his way to have it when he was travelling and staying in hotels. I've never made it myself it looks lush but so rich and the thought of faffing about with hollandaise sauce in the morning puts me off. Maybe I could make it for tea, that might be a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks stunning! Perfect weekend breakfast indulgence :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant....recipe.. and tempting photos...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right, breakfast is important, but I so rarely seem to have the time to have a relaxed one. However, I've had eggs benedict on my list for ages and still haven't got around to it so maybe this will inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becca - this has to be my most indulgent breakfast and is making my mouth water just at the thought of it! I like it also with smoked salmon instead of the bacon.

    Great blog
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks everyone!! it does take a little time and effort (neither of which I'm very keen on!!) but the result is so good!
    also, thankyou for your kind comments, I had my first rather unpleasant comment which was a little upsetting- - but you've all put a smile back on my face! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks divine... and it's my favourite breakfast too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. (Oh and don't worry about unkind comments... I had one and just wondered why on earth anybody would go to all the trouble of posting just to be negative. Came to the conclusion they had nothing better to do with their lives and they weren't worth worrying about. Chin up!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that egg. Great for weekend breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! Always wanted to try it after seeing it on so many cookery shows. I have bookmarked this page for when I try it :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love to hear your comments so chat away!!