Tuesday 2 February 2010

Chocolate Centered Biscuits


January is a bit of a difficult month really isn't it? What with the post Christmas blues, the long gap between paydays and the gloomy weather, it's not the most cheery of months, and this year I've finished it off with a monster cold. Typical. However, just before I got the lurgy, I'd made a batch of these biscuits from Jamie Oliver's website, which let me tell you, have made feeling groggy a whole lot more bearable!! Between cups of Lemsip and tea, I've been sneakily eating these little delights which are a tasty treat and really easy to whip up.


They are definitely a biscuit rather than a cookie, the dough is rather dry to work with, which doesn't cause any problems, but results in a crunchier biscuit, especially when it has cooled. However, when warm and fresh from the oven it still has a bit of give - and as usual I take mine out of the oven a little early to keep them slightly soft - and the inside is a mouth-watering delight of melted chocolate. The recipe is to make a batch of chocolate dough and leave to chill, then cutting out two sets of circles, one about 4cm diameter and the other about 5cm diameter. You then place a chunk of chocolate, any type you like, on the small circle, and lay the bigger circle over the top, pressing the edges down to stop any chocolate escaping when they bake.


The first batch I baked were a little overdone for my liking, and they came out a little cracked on the top and crunchier than I would have liked. Jamie admits in this recipe that the dough produces a cracked and rustic look, so the first batch weren't necessarily worse than the second, it was merely personal taste. I took the second lot out a minute or two earlier and they had a much smoother surface, delicate to the touch, and completely divine when I broke into them.



These weren't quite as sinfully decadent as the Hummingbird Double Chocolate Cookies, but definitely a delicious treat, perfect with a cup of tea and a good book on a weekend afternoon...or curled up in bed watching films waiting for the sneezes to stop!! As much as it pains me, I think it's time I move on from my chocolate biscuit phase now, or I might have trouble getting my skinny jeans on...ah well, it was fun while it lasted, something with vegetables next time I think.

6 comments:

  1. forget the skinny jeans and keep up the good biscuit work - these sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe thanks!! it would be so much more fun to keep eating biscuits...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I have that exact recipe in a book that pre-dates Jamie's rise to fame!
    They're delicious aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fab! Bet they didnt last long :) I need to be adventurous and getting into backing more and try something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are skinny jeans?!?!?!?! Lol

    These cookies look too good to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delicious! I'd never be able to stop at 1 or 2... hee hee!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love to hear your comments so chat away!!