Wednesday 12 January 2011

Hugh's Fish Fight

No recipes this time I'm afraid, but something far more important in my opinion - the conservation of our fish stocks. As I write I'm watching the second in a three part series by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall called Hugh's Fish Fight, a programme which has quite rightly caused a stir in the media and I can only hope indignation across the country.

As well as the launch of this campaign, I coincidentally got Hugh F-W's River Cottage Meat Book for Christmas and this too has whipped me up in to a frenzy of anger and resentment over bad farming practices and unacceptable treatment of animals before they are killed for meat. Now, I hold my hands up and say that I probably haven't educated myself on this subject as well as I should have done as a food lover, but it's time to change. A New Year's resolution of mine this year was to do just that, to learn as much as I can about the meat and fish industry and to ensure that I only buy meat and fish from ethical farms, and if that isn't available, well I'll just do without and turn temporarily vegetarian until I can buy well sourced meat.

I hope if you're reading this that you too are interested in this topic, as I'm sure you are if you're a bonafide foodie like me and the rest of the food blog writing and reading world. After writing this post I'm going to attempt to add the Fish Fight widget to this blog (ambitious words for my practically computer illiterate self) and hopefully the next website you visit will be the Fish Fight campaign that accompanies the programme currently airing. Do send an email to your MP, do sign the petition, but most importantly, if you're like me, change your own buying and eating habits.

I don't pretend to be perfect, and I'm sure over the coming months I'll have a hiccup or two and forget my resolution by picking up a can of tuna (I gather even Princes are less than perfect in their fishing practices) or grabbing a chicken sandwich on the run, but hey - I'm putting one hundred per cent effort in to trying, and sticking to the principles that really, I think I've always had, I just haven't done the research into before.

Wish me luck, and here's to a happy, healthy and conscientious
2011!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Becca,

    What a great piece. I also saw the programme and wanted to do something - I've posted something up on my blog and also linked to your feature. I think us food bloggers should get together and support this very important fight!

    Regan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece, Becca. Have you also seen the French film, "Océans"? Also powerful and hopefully people will get the message.

    It's hard, but I agree that we all need to make a super effort and think before buying.
    All the best and here's to much more awareness in 2011!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I haven't watched it yet (got them taped for the weekend) but I have long been concerned about the state of our oceans. The oceans are such a vital part of the environmental make up of our planet that it is imperative that something is done to stop over fishing, by catch, throw back and trawler fishing that destroys the sea bed. By choosing more selectively we can all do our little bit to help, it is hard because as foodies we do love our fish but it it time to realise there are delicious alternatives to cod and tuna! Thanks for bringing this to peoples attention Becca -all the best for 2011.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love to hear your comments so chat away!!